I begged some of my favorites to guest blog for me while I’m away this week, asking them to send me their 10 random thoughts. Meet Cortney. I can’t even tell you how much I adore her and how much she makes me laugh. While we’re only just getting to know each other, I love her outlook on life and I can tell you, as a witness to them, that she has some really great shoes. Among other places, you can find Cortney at HaitiBabi.
- 8:43pm. Children in bed – check. Heating blanket on – check. Teeth whitening trays on – check. Urine cleaned off my butt and the toilet seat that was left on by my three boys: Ben 42, Oliver, 10 and Tucker, 8 – check. It’s MOMMY time!
- First Quarterly Relationship Review with my husband (AKA: QRR) 2013: Cosmopolitan Las Vegas or Aria Las Vegas? THAT is my question?
- Today my eight-year old son said, “Wow mom. I can’t wait for Valentine’s Day. I mean, New Year’s wasn’t a “real” holiday, but Valentine’s Day is!” I want to know when did Valentine’s Day become a holiday?
- Odds are that it will be grey, cold, wet and crappy this weekend in Seattle. I have never thought of myself as a feminist, but I am taking a recommendation from a fellow 40-something female and have just sampled: Naomi Wolf’s Vagina: A Cultural History. Stay tuned…
- My love-hate relationship with Seattle continues. I have been following Seatown boy, Ben Haggerty, musical stage name Macklemore, for a while and feel like a proud mamma seeing him recognized in Time Magazine for reaching number one song without a record label. I relate SO strongly to the fervent individuality that comes out of Seattle and adore the creative genius that overflows from the Pacific Northwest incubator. I just wish it all wasn’t covered in my great grandmother’s itchy, grey, musty wool barn blanket. If there were more sun here would it be the same, just better?
- Output from my kitchen in the last three days: Chocolate chip muffins, brownies, meatloaf with homemade scala bread, sautéed mushrooms, rosemary roast potatoes and blasted broccoli, carnitas sliders with homemade sweet onion pickle, eight-layer fudge torte, chocolate mud bars, pancake breakfast, three-dozen Beyblade-themed cupcakes, multiple “Jamba” style smoothies… Oops, I lost track of the rest.
- Just inked the calendar. I am co-hosting a fundraiser in February for HaitiBabi with THE most amazing Spanish woman in Seattle. A book club at Sofia’s house with special guest, another phenomenon Seattle popped out: Maria Semple.
- Mental health needs to be a priority – guns should NOT be acquired by ANYONE with a history of mental illness.
- My ten-year old grifter made $16 from adults swearing at the Super Bowl party we went to, and then had the audacity to ask for $10 a week for allowance.
- Crap, I forgot to buy milk and the washer just dinged. There goes Mommy time!
And, Cortney’s cute picture too… just for good measure…