I must admit. I having second thoughts about sharing this with you. Because I’m selfish. And want to keep it all to myself.
But, since a million and one people have emailed me today asking about where this little piece of heaven is, I feel obliged to tell you.
You can read all the details about the cabin here on VRBO, but let me tell you what we love about it.
1. It only takes just over an hour to get there and when you have three little ones screaming from the backseat and pinching each other from one carseat to another, you know how valuable that short drive is. It can take longer to get there if the ferry line is long, but you can get out and walk around while you wait.
2. You can only get to the house via golf cart.The kids think this is fantastic and so does Josh. Golf carts = fun. And, our house has its own cart, so you don’t have to wait for someone else to finish
3. There is a long paved path that goes along the beach (it’s actually the golf cart path) that is perfect for riding scooters. The kids can ride their hearts our without having to worry about cars.
4. The house is the best size for our family — there is a room with bunkbeds for the girls and a sweet and comfortable master bedroom for Josh and me. The main living space is one big room — livingroom and kitchen — with a huge, deep sectional couch for watching movies and a big kitchen table for meals.
5. The front porch is straight from my dreams — it’s covered so you can enjoy it any time of year and it’s lined with white rockers and chairs and covered with great rugs. This is the spot where I sit with a book and a cup of coffee while the kids and Josh get a fire going at the beach. Really, I could spend all day sitting on this porch.
6. The picture above is taken from the beach, so you can see that it is just a stone’s throw from the house. The entire stretch of beach is very long, miles in fact, and you can walk the entire thing easily. It’s a sandy beach with lots of driftwood for building forts and rounded stones for chucking in the water (Everett’s favorite activity…). My favorite parts about the beach — the kids can go down there safely while I watch them from the porch and there is grass between the beach and the house, which helps remove the sand from little feet before coming inside.
7. We’ve stayed in quite a few vacation rentals over the years in many different places and more often that not, no matter how much we pay for the house, it’s likely that I don’t want to take off my shoes inside the entire time I’m there. Sometimes rentals just have that grimy feel, like nobody has really cleaned it very well, ever. This is not the case here. The house really felt like a home, rather than a rental. It was immaculately clean and I didn’t get the heebie-jeebies once!
8. They have a full-sized washer and dryer. Mothers of young children — enough said.
9. I don’t have to lug all of our baby gear every time we go up — on request, the house has a pack-n-play for Everett to sleep in, a high chair and even an Exersaucer. This leaves WAY more room in the car for beer and wine.
10. There’s a little corner store, less than 5-minutes away, where you can pick up wine and beer or a latte.
We’re planning on spending a weekend here every single month and a long week in the summer too — this is the type of place where you make those family memories that your kids remember and tell their children about someday and until we own a place of our own on Whidbey (which we hope to), this cabin will be our happy place.
To book your own mini-beach vacation at the house, use the “email owner” form on the right hand side of the VRBO website listing. Be sure to tell them that I sent you and be sure to let me know that you’re going — we know a lot of other fun things to do with kids in the area and are happy to share our favorites!